Sunday, January 28, 2018

"I have a Dream #2"

"We should all be Feminists" - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie at TEDxEuston

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichies neatly embodies exquisite beauty, charm, brains, sophistication, and modesty, all with marvelous grace. She brings Hope to the African continent and to it's women and men as she shares her thoughts in such a diligent and intelligent way, right how it is here.

"The word feminist is so heavy with baggage, negative baggage: you hate men, you hate bras, you hate African culture, that sort of thing. A Nigerian journalist, a nice, well-meaning man, gave me an advise. I should never call myself a feminist because feminists are women who are unhappy because they cannot find husbands. So I decided to call myself "a happy feminist". Then an academic Nigerian woman told me that feminism was not our culture and that feminism wasn't African, and that I was calling myself a feminist because I had been corrupted by "Western Books." So I decided that I would now call myself "a happy African feminist." At some point I was a happy African feminist who does not hate men and who likes lip gloss and who wears high heels for herself but not for men. ... Listen in -






No comments:

Post a Comment