Friday, May 13, 2016

A White Night for a Wedding Cake


I had an amazing “White Night” here in Korhogo. Nothing at all to do with snow, but everything with "being awake all night". J’ai passé une “nuit blanche” is an expression in French that you didn't sleep during the night. 
So I was visiting a friend one Friday afternoon and she was in the midst of baking wedding cakes for two weddings that Saturday. The sound of two mixers filled the house as well as the smell of cakes in the oven. The mixers never stopped as a lot of butter cream needed to get beaten over and over again. I helped her mixing the ingredients together and creating some decorations. Supper for the family needed to get prepared as well and we all had attieke together. I helped clean up and decided to stay for a few more hours. The cakes needed to be ready by 6am Saturday morning. That’s when a car would come to pick her up to drive her 3 hours further north, as the wedding started at 9am. We both were tired but there was no end in view. We worked into the night and hoped to get a few hours of sleep when done. Then the muezzin started to call for prayer at 5am. I couldn’t believe that the night was already over and we weren’t done yet. An hour later, the two taxis arrived. One cake was ready to go to the one wedding. But the other wasn’t all covered with cream yet. We packed all the ingredients together for her to finish it during the wedding ceremony. What a night. I was able to catch up with sleep, but my friend didn’t. She called me Saturday night saying that she finished the cakes at 2pm, but they only wanted to present and eat it in the evening. Making a wedding cake is so much more work then I ever could imagine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment